Re: Proving or Debunking the need for rebuilding

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 9 Nov 2006 12:08:50 -0800

Ben wrote:

> I guess I must have looked over the posts, but I have been to Tom's
> site extensively and Jonathan Lewis's.
> I've search benchmarking and matrix.. any other good keywords that you
> obviously know since you're suggesting the site?

Here's a couple for Jonathan Lewis

Try this first and look at any of the article's with index in the description

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/ind_misc.html

There's also this one ( a url from the ind_misc.html )

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/indexes.doc which is a presentation/paper he delivered.

Probably should let him speak for himself ... he does post here frequently.

But in general I think current thinking is "dont rebuild an index just because you have time and cpu ... prove some tangible benefit from rebuilding one and then still think 3 times if you really want to do it". Received on Thu Nov 09 2006 - 14:08:50 CST