Re: Proving or Debunking the need for rebuilding

From: Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net>
Date: 9 Nov 2006 12:35:28 -0800

hpuxrac wrote:
> Ben wrote:
> >

> > I guess I must have looked over the posts, but I have been to Tom's
> > site extensively and Jonathan Lewis's.
> > I've search benchmarking and matrix.. any other good keywords that you
> > obviously know since you're suggesting the site?
>
> Here's a couple for Jonathan Lewis
>
> Try this first and look at any of the article's with index in the
> description
>
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/ind_misc.html
>
> There's also this one ( a url from the ind_misc.html )
>
> http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/indexes.doc which is a presentation/paper
> he delivered.
>
> Probably should let him speak for himself ... he does post here
> frequently.
>
> But in general I think current thinking is "dont rebuild an index just
> because you have time and cpu ... prove some tangible benefit from
> rebuilding one and then still think 3 times if you really want to do
> it".

The main tangible benefit we are going to see is getting space back that won't be used again. We operated for 4 years on our ERP system without doing any archiving of data. We don't use partitioned tables, as I believe it is not supported by our ERP, so we have an archive schema that data is moved to. Once we started this archive process we have quite a bit of space that is never going to be used by these tables and indexes again.

I've got to go through all the links that you all have supplied me, as the main thing I want to be able to do, is make sure that performance isn't worse after the reorganizing. I wouldn't want to just sit back and see if the users start complaining :) Received on Thu Nov 09 2006 - 14:35:28 CST