Re: Proving or Debunking the need for rebuilding

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:05:27 +0000

Ben wrote:

> hpuxrac wrote:

>> Ben wrote:
>>> 9.2.0.5 EE AIX5L
>>>
>>> Ok so I do believe everyone when they say to quit rebuilding indexes,
>>> except for certain special cases ( like large purges on tables that
>>> will never grow again unless the moon is full and the wind blows
>>> eastward). I do understand that rebuilds can be harmful, BUT how do I
>>> prove one way or the other?

I think a particularly effective test proposed I think by Connor McDonald but which I've never seen results from is.

  1. Create a test environment
  2. Obtain representative workloads.
  3. Compare TOTAL elapsed time for queries plus rebuilds under load vs queries under load. i.e over a cycle of two or three rebuilds how much time is saved?