ASM and 4-way replication?

From: MarcelD <MARCEL.D_at_GMX.CH>
Date: 7 Nov 2006 23:45:28 -0800

I need to build a high availabilty database solution. The plan is to build a two node failover cluster, the two nodes beeing in different buildings. There will be two disk-cabinets also, one in each building.
The requirement is as follows: if the node or the storage in one building completely fail,
we need to be able to be up again within 10 minutes, and without data loss.
I'm checking the possibility to run such a setup without a SAN, just using Oracle ClusterWare
and ASM.
OS is RedHat Linux, disks are fibre disks attached via switches to two hba's on each node.
I know I can set the data-filegroup up with normal redundancy, which would fulfill the requirements.
But then, if one storage location fails, I'm running on only one copy of the data. Therefore I would like to have two copies of each datafile in each building.
Can this be done whithout using a SAN?
Thanks for any input on this. Received on Wed Nov 08 2006 - 01:45:28 CST