Re: Oracle Won't use INLIST ITERATOR in simple case

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 07:17:34 -0000

<jim.thompson_at_lagosantafe.com> wrote in message news:1162955456.184901.24490_at_h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> I found that the parameter for index vs. tablescan was set too high.
> I don't have the doc in front of me right now, but I set it to 20 and
> it works correctly now.
>
> I'll do some more experimentation with it.
>
> Thanks for responses to this.

You probably mean optimizer_index_cost_adj,

It isn't a parameter for "index vs. tablescan", it's a parameter that affects the relatively costing of a single block read taking place through an indexed access path with the cost of a multi-block read.

Since you're on 9.2, you should be working out how to use system statistics (CPU costing) which allows Oracle to use a timing strategy to compare ALL single block reads with multiblock reads, rather than relying on a hack that was introduced in Oracle 8.

See also:
  http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2006/10/24/optimizer_index_cost_adj/

--
Regards