Re: ASM and 4-way replication?

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 07:25:59 -0600

On 2006-11-08, MarcelD <MARCEL.D_at_GMX.CH> wrote:
> I need to build a high availabilty database solution.
> The plan is to build a two node failover cluster, the two nodes beeing
> in different buildings. There will be two disk-cabinets also, one in
> each building.
> The requirement is as follows: if the node or the storage in one
> building completely fail,
> we need to be able to be up again within 10 minutes, and without data
> loss.
> I'm checking the possibility to run such a setup without a SAN, just
> using Oracle ClusterWare

        You need something that will allow two servers to mount the same storage. Your fastest, best option for that will be a fiber connected SAN. There are other options that are more bleeding edge but they may also be less robust.

        Look into iSCSI. NFS is also an option but the only supported NFS config for datafiles is netapp. Robust NFS from netapp is by no means cheap. Just the NFS license for a filer can be more than some of the lower end shared storage solutions.

--
     Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates         |||

                http://www.usenet.com