Re: Anyone OOW attendees notice when OOW 2007 is?

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 31 Oct 2006 01:35:57 -0800

Glen S wrote:
> I could have sworn when I was walking out of the Moscone South there was
> a big sign saying "see you next year" with the dates Sept 11-15. However
> talking to someone on the shuttle back to the airport friday they said
> they read somewhere that next years event is going to be in November. I
> also heard this from someone at the wrap up event.

It is definitely going to be November. I think November 19th - November 22nd, but I'm not sure with exact dates, but 100% sure with the month. It was on the mentioned banner above doors.

> While on the subject, did anyone here go, and if so what did you think
> of the conference? I thought it was pretty good, networking with people
> in my field was as valuable an experience as any, but the vast majority
> of people I met seemed to be from the applications / peoplesoft side of
> things, fellow DBA's seemed to be a lot scarcer.

I was in San Francisco for a third time in a row and I think the conference is declining in its quality. Year after year there is more and more marketing and less information. This years were keynotes visibly prefered to the technical sessions. Sometimes I even have a impression that technical sessions are having no importance for Oracle. I have missed some of them, because there was simply not enough time for lunch or some session ending with the beginning of others. Last and previous years, there was always at least half hour break between session and one hour break for a lunch.
Another problem was that there were simply more people than is capacity of Moscone and also of the city. Some session were insanely situated in Hilton hotel which is several blocks and about 15 minutes of walk away from Moscone. Also commuting from hotel to Moscone via shuttle took me more time than walking there although my hotel was quite a long way away. I have to said that Gold Pass paid off many times, because I was able to skip at least some huge queues.

--
Dusan