Re: Anyone OOW attendees notice when OOW 2007 is?

From: Glen <stromqueat_at_teldotnet.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:02:54 GMT

Dusan Bolek wrote:
> Glen S wrote:
>

>>I could have sworn when I was walking out of the Moscone South there was
>>a big sign saying "see you next year" with the dates Sept 11-15. However
>>talking to someone on the shuttle back to the airport friday they said
>>they read somewhere that next years event is going to be in November. I
>>also heard this from someone at the wrap up event.

> It is definitely going to be November. I think November 19th - November
> 22nd, but I'm not sure with exact dates, but 100% sure with the month.
> It was on the mentioned banner above doors.
>

>>While on the subject, did anyone here go, and if so what did you think
>>of the conference? I thought it was pretty good, networking with people
>>in my field was as valuable an experience as any, but the vast majority
>>of people I met seemed to be from the applications / peoplesoft side of
>>things, fellow DBA's seemed to be a lot scarcer.

> I was in San Francisco for a third time in a row and I think the
> conference is declining in its quality. Year after year there is more
> and more marketing and less information. This years were keynotes
> visibly prefered to the technical sessions. Sometimes I even have a
> impression that technical sessions are having no importance for Oracle.
> I have missed some of them, because there was simply not enough time
> for lunch or some session ending with the beginning of others. Last and
> previous years, there was always at least half hour break between
> session and one hour break for a lunch.
> Another problem was that there were simply more people than is capacity
> of Moscone and also of the city. Some session were insanely situated in
> Hilton hotel which is several blocks and about 15 minutes of walk away
> from Moscone. Also commuting from hotel to Moscone via shuttle took me
> more time than walking there although my hotel was quite a long way
> away. I have to said that Gold Pass paid off many times, because I was
> able to skip at least some huge queues.
>
> --
> Dusan

This was only my second OOW (last year was 1st), so I can't really say what it was like before. I have to say that the sessions were arranged better last year thoough, like you said. Fortunatly most of the sessions I wanted to see were held in the south venue, I though they did a passable job in keeping content related ones in the same place as last year I was bouncing between the three centers every day.

It is getting crowded though, and depending who the Borgacle assimilates this year, next year could be a real doozy, I also heard that its the 30th year as well.

I guess it is in November then, you are the third person I have heard it from. I wish I'd taken a picture of the banner in Moscone south though, I was positive it said Sept :-| Received on Tue Oct 31 2006 - 14:02:54 CST