Re: Rac on Linux

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:18:57 -0500

On 2006-10-13, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> pibru_at_tin.it wrote:
>> [..]
>>> - ASM
>>> - OCFS/OCFS2
>>> - 3rd party (Veritas, Polyserve, GFS, etc)..
>> why not raw ?
>
> ASM is raw.
>
> But under cluster file systems don't leave out NetApp's. It is
> far better than OCFS/OCFS2.

        Not according to Netapp.

        Netapp's own publications on the matter show OCFS2 to be the clear winner with ASM not even doing that much better than NFS.

> Before considering Polyserve verify the level of support you
> will receive from Oracle. From my experience it is abysmal.

        If you're buying from Polyserve then you need to determine what level of support they are offering. The same goes for the hardware. Are they going to be onsite immediately in the case of problems or just give you a run around.

        ANY component not Oracle will give Oracle support ample opportunity to point fingers and blame the other component. This could be something like a subtle OS bug that only manifests in certain ("best practices") conditions. So you need to line up suitable support for everything.

--

	The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals           |||
for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs           / | \

                http://www.usenet.com