Re: Rac on Linux

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:14:52 -0500

On 2006-10-12, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Fuzzy wrote:
>> JEDIDIAH wrote:

>>> Your are COMPLETELY dependent on Oracle for everything.
>>
>> As if you aren't anyway.
>
> This is just another version of the Java developer's mantra about
> platform independence that Tom Kyte has been trying to kill for quite
> some time.
>
> Platform independence is a direct route to mediocrity or worse.
>
> Trying to run Oracle databases successfully while ignoring Oracle
> best practices is similarly an exercise in masochism.

        You make it sound like you could get 5 DBA's in a room and not have 6 opinions about any subject.

        ASM and RMAN both increase the arcana level of an Oracle database. They immediately cut you off from a whole host of relatively simple tools. Both take the promise and benefits of open standards represented by Unix and SQL and disposes of them. Rather than getting to depend upon Oracle for what their core strength is, you get to depend on them for all of the other things that they want to assimilate and gain extra control over.

        None of you people can even tell me how to replace bonnie.

        Don't have a clue how to validate your hardware? Expect the hardware vendor to have a magic little app that will do that validation. Nevermind the obvious conflict of interest. Nevermind the fact that such tools likely don't exist since they would be an absurd duplication of effort in an open system.

--

	The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals           |||
for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs           / | \

                http://www.usenet.com