Re: How to restore over an existing DB

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Oct 2006 14:30:10 -0700

RobbMichel_at_gmail.com wrote:
> The goal is to query the data in the Oracle database and move it into
> our SQL database. We get the data from a client (they only know how to
> send a dmp), and we do not use Oracle here we use SQL.
>
> We just have an Oracle test enviroment to practice writing queries to
> get data from the client's Oracle database. So we threw together an
> Oracle enviroment to allow easier development. The developer wanted
> more recent data than the last dump we imported and we are now in this
> situation. We have about 4 employees total and can not just hire a new
> person to monitor this enviroment. That is why I am using gooogle
> groups to discuss the problems we are having. I have gotten great
> advice from google groups in the past.

Do not use an editor on your dmp file. But, you can look at the file, and about the third and forth lines in the file may give a hint as to who the username is and what type of export was done. May look like this:

^C.D
EXPORT:V09.02.00
UMANFRED
RUSERS So that would have been a schema name of manfred with a user mode export. Perhaps what you want to do is create a user named manfred and import using the username/password of SYSTEM (NOT SYS!).

If you see something like this:

^C.EXPORT:V09.02.00
DSYSTEM
RENTIRE
1

That means you have a full system export, and have the commands in the file to create tablespaces and users. Whether or not this is a good thing depends on how similar your system is to the original system. The usual action here is to assume it is not.

If you are trying to import into a different username, you will need to use the fromuser and touser syntax, but still will need to use a user that has import capabilities, like SYSTEM. Do not import into SYS or SYSTEM, that is very, very bad!

Be careful about keeping your terminology straight, what we call in Oracle a database encompasses many schemata. You may be in a habit of using database and schema interchangeably, avoid doing that in an Oracle context.

This is a very old and well-trodden newsgroup, which may have different traditions than you are used to, here is a faq about it: http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm People do want to help. There's just so much to Oracle, it can be daunting to bring people up to the basics. You very well might want to look about locally to see if someone is willing to moonlight to get you going.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
So long and thanks for all the money!