Re: EXPLAIN Plan

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 20:26:41 +0100

"Dereck L. Dietz" <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net> wrote in message news:EPeUg.7793$GR.297_at_newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...
> Earlier today my manager sent an EXPLAIN PLAN to a number of us for help
> with a query. In the EXPLAN PLAN there was an INDEX RANGE SCAN which the
> off-site DBA said was caused by the table not being analyzed.
>
> The INDEX RANGE SCAN was using an index - maybe not the one I'd expect
> but
> nonetheless was using an index on the table being EXPLAINED.
>
> Am I missing something or does what the DBA not really make sense?

Possibly the DBA wasn't expressing himself very well. Perhaps he meant to say something like:

    If the table had been analyzed, the path     would have been different and this particular     index range scan would not have happened.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#lewis