Re: 10g RAC and SRDF

From: BCB <bdcbuning_at_freeit.nl>
Date: 4 Oct 2006 12:45:15 -0700

hpuxrac schreef:

> Talat wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > Apologies for the double post.
> >
> > I've just had confirmation from someone within Oracle that not
> > replicating the binaries and OCR to the DR nodes is the way to go.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > T.
>
> That makes sense to me. We have a similar environment except hpux and
> 9.2 ( so far ).
>
> The machine that in a disaster would host production database runs the
> test database normally. We also have a separate install of oracle on
> both machines ...
>
> We ( currently ) don't have to consider the oracle CRS implications but
> ( not for long ). At the moment, as you are going to do, for bringing
> up prod db on SRDF'd side, I also have to change information via srvctl.

Hello,

About HACMP, CRS and SRDF. This are different things. HACMP is the AIX clustersoftware to help you in a cluster environment. CRS is the Oracle part doing the same.

You can choise which to use. CRS is for "free" when building RAC. So just looking at the costs without HACMP it is cheaper.

About SDRF. SDRF is a way to mirror your data to another side. As we say only the data.
Which means you need to think off away how you will start your cluster environment at the other side when there is a side failure and you need to failover to the other location.

But as mentioned only the data is at the other location, which means you need to think about starting hacmp or CRS onanother host, prepare it with the oracle software for example.

There is a document, on a sun with SDRF where they implementen a lot of thinks as a virtual, so the hostname also was going to the other node, so make it easier when failover is needed.

if wanted I can see if I can find that doc again you can contact me to go to www.rachelp.nl and send an email.

Hope the above will help.

good luck.
BCB