Re: ORA-00997: Annoying LONG/LONG RAW columns when alter table .. move tablespace

From: SL <sebastien-louchart_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: 18 Sep 2006 02:14:21 -0700

NitelyJoy a écrit :

> If you get an "ORA-00997: illegal use of LONG datatype" error, metalink
> (note 165901.1) advises you to
>
> 1. Export the table.
> 2. Recreate the table in the new tablespace.
> 3. Import the table.
>
> This is annoying, because you have
> - a table outage (manual read only table lock needed)
> - more admin work (more steps than just "alter table .. move tablespace
> ..")

Getting rid of LONG is not annoying. LONG are annoying by essence.

> Does somebody know a more comfortable method to move tables with LONG
> columns?

No, the method found in Metalink is the good one. No way to do differently.

> - Will this feature be implemented by Oracle in the future?
Of course not, as Sybrand stated, it's been deprecated a long time ago (though internal tables still use them, see DBA_TRIGGERS for instance)

> - LONG column type is out-dated according to Oracle. Can you convert
> LONG and LONG RAW to BLOB,CLOB,... without the need of testing. Is it
> 100% interoperable?

As far as I used the TO_LOB function, it is. Besides, there is always a need of testing.

--
Seb L.