Re: Avoiding generating redo logs

From: Anand Rao <panandrao_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2006 02:12:48 -0700

Hi,

to clarify further,

NOLOGGING will only avoid the generation of redo entries during the creation of the index or the altering of an index.

Look at pages 482-484 in Oracle 9i Release 2 SQL Reference Manual. Part No. A96540-02.

as far as the unsupported and hidden parameter method goes, even that hidden parameter *will not* stop redologging.

DML is *always* logged, irrespective of the hidden parameter setting. except for Direct Path Inserts (which can anyway be worked around using NOLOGGING) so, this hidden param only minimises the amount of redo by not logging some other operations.

the best test is by dumping the redo before using the parameter and after using the parameter. see how much difference is there in the redo size.

if you are testing it, kindly post the results of the redo dump.

cheers
anand