Re: Avoiding generating redo logs

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 18 Sep 2006 02:10:18 -0700

Jeremy wrote:
> In article <1158411086.860994_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>, DA Morgan says...
> >
> > I am in full agreement with Sybrand and others here. Your business case
> > around not generating redo starts with "I want" and that is not a
> > business case.
>
> That is not the business case at all - the business case is to provide a
> flexible user interface to the users of a system via a web browser. The
> question of redo is simply something that occurred to me that perhaps,
> in the case where the need to recover data from a particular table in
> the event of some kind of failure did not exist, might be
> able/recommended to suppress.
> >
> > My recommendation would be that you use global temporary tables to cache
> > the data as in the following:
> >
> > CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE test (
> > zip_code VARCHAR2(5),
> > by_user VARCHAR2(30),
> > entry_date DATE)
> > ON COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS;
> >
> > This is likely the most efficient structure for your purposes.
>
> Not when using apache/mod_plsql - a new session is started on every
> interaction.

I had the impression (may be wrong here) that you are in an early-ish phase of the project/implementation.
Let me just repeat that it may well be worthwhile to look at expanding the technologies used if that means you're application could be implemented better. (And if you tell "them" that if you are allowed to use X we can do THIS(!) ... "they" are often more flexible as one had initially thought.)

> > But I am left wondering why you think it desirable to let an end user
> > sort and filter anything. Wouldn't it be far easier to just teach them
> > how to use the WHERE and ORDER BY clauses correctly?
> >

> Have you ever used a browser-based system where you the user clicks a
> column heading to re-order the resukts into price or date order? You're
> right, of course, let's teach the end users about WHERE and ORDER BY and
> give them a little field into which they can type their own SQL
> statements which we execute dynamically. Brilliant.

Yeah - I also had a good laugh on this ;-)

cheers,
Martin Received on Mon Sep 18 2006 - 04:10:18 CDT