Re: Oracle Benchmark Results for Different Hardware Configurations?

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:49:51 GMT

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 04:02:45 +0000, Bob Jones wrote:

>>> We are not talking about whether you can purchase similar equipments. We
>>> are talking about whether you can evaluate your configurations using
>>> tpc.org as a guide or even a clue.
>>
>> Exactly ... and one can ...
>>

> How? What does a TPC benchmark tell you about the performance of your
> particular systems and applications?

It's all ratios. And yes, the ratios do hide some info, but they are also useful in getting an idea.

I often refer to the SpecMark info to get a general idea of the capability of a machine. Different SpecMarks for different machines - and similar specmarks give me similar responses in load handling ability regardless of vendor.

Then use the baseline TPCs to get an idea of the load for a hardware combination (same CPU, therefore same specmark, but different disks or memory or ...)

And then (and this is what I suspect you are all about here) compare to the load and benchmark for the local equipment for the local application. And use that to extrapolate to the potential new equipment.

Actual results are meaningless in this game, as they will vary by load, tuners and tuning, age of circuits, cooling, butterfly wings, etc. But relative results can be very meaningful.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!