Re: Oracle Benchmark Results for Different Hardware Configurations?

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:25:30 GMT

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:13:31 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:

> Bob Jones wrote:
>

>> Again, how relevant is that to the real world, given both the apps and
>> tuning processes are different?

> I've stayed out of this thread but now you've hit the nail squarely on
> the head.
>
> As far as I am concerned all benchmarks, and 99.9% of the "experts"
> commenting on our industry are making money selling fluff or running
> scams.

I'd back that down to 80%.

Flip side ... Chapter 20 of the Oracle internet Directory Administrators Manual uses benchmark information to help chose the appropriate hardware for OiD. No fluff there, as far as I can tell.

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14099_19/idmanage.1012/b14082/toc.htm

> I don't trust any of them for anything. Any reputable vendor will
> deliver hardware on which system tests can be run or will let you use
> their lab. If they won't just scratch them off the list. Oracle too has
> a lab available to select customers.

It kinda depends. If the corporate population exists, the vendors will have appropriate resources for this.

Here, in mid-western Canada (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba), we have a population of ~4M people (I'd guess roughly equivalent to greater SeaTac in a physical area similar to northern Europe) with 70% of the companies being under 100 employees OR with megacorp [often US-based] offices which don't allow the locals to make decisions or spend on infrastructure.

The P&L for the area needs to take into account a lot of travel overhead and effort to close relatively small deals ... vendors simply don't pay attention. Been on both sides of this one.

So, perhaps it behooves the OP to do some analysis ... potentially in the face of lack of vendor assistance.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!