Re: Advanced Security

From: <dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Sep 2006 13:34:49 -0700

Evan wrote:
> I am looking for opinions on ASO.
> We have Oracle (9.2.0.6-9.2.0.8, 10.2.0.2)
> There are hundreds of users accessing the database from Windows boxes.
> There are five app servers accessing the database from UNIX boxes.
>
> There is a firewall around the entire site, but "non-trusted"
> staff/temps/etc. have access to core machines.
>
> The databases may contain sensitive data related to SSN/Credit Card,
> FURPA and HIPPA laws.
>
> - - -
>
> How important is ASO for our environment?
> What are the risks?
> Can you (I) make a case to install it on all machines?
Depends on your requirements -
Is any sensitive data needs to be encrypred in database (this in itself does not require ASO) but then you may want to use TCP over SSL which needs ASO.. If you want to use transparent data encyption (which is only available in 10G R2), you need ASO. Received on Mon Sep 11 2006 - 15:34:49 CDT