Re: Advanced Security

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:39:58 GMT

> Can you (I) make a case to install it on all machines?

Might I make a suggestion? Instead of taking a look at ASO, start with your business requirements. Do you have a need to encrypt sensitive data? Do you have a need to limit access to certain rows of data in a table? Do you have a need to generate an audit trail when individuals access certain rows or columns of data? Take a look at your business requirements and *then* pick the Oracle solution that implements those requirements. You already have a start documenting some of your requirements:

  1. Hundreds of users will access the database from Windows clients
  2. There are five app servers that will access the database
  3. There is sensitive data in the database

But there is lots more than you need to figure out. My questions above are only a start. But I let my requirements dictate my solution set, not the other way around.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net