Re: Default characterset for database on Windows Servers

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 11:20:28 +0200

dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com schreef:
> II am using Oracle 9.2.0.5 on Windows Server 2000. When someone
> created a database, they used the default character set WE8NSWIN1252,
> which also shows up during export:
>
> Export done in WE8MSWIN1252 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character
> set
> On HP UNIX boxes, default character set is AL32UTF8 (?), some UTF8
> character set.
>
> Are there any advantages to using WE8NSWIN1252 windows? Why Oracle
> decided to use
> A different default database character set (not NCHAR character set is
> same on Windows and UNIX),
>
> I have been reading that WE8BNSWIN1242 is some ISO character set which
> lets many 127-256 chacatersets represented as single bytes instead of
> 2-3 bytes in UTF8. I thought people should get away from ISO standard
> and use UTF8 for new databases, bu Oracle default standard takes one
> away from UTF8.
>

> Thanks.

Because that is what the *client* used, on the time of installation, and nobody bothered to check it out, wonder what impact it would have, or -god forbid!- change the value.

On the discussion of character sets, read the Globalization Manual for your release: it has many considerations when to use a single byte and when to use multi byte character sets. ROT: for most projects in the Western hemisphere, WE8MSWIN1252 will do. Based on the assumption that your clients will be using some MS product as front end.
And yes- that character set can also be chosen for a database, running on Unix platforms.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...