Re: how to corrupt rollback segment and add control file in database

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 23:57:50 -0700

aman.oracle.dba wrote:

> sybrandb wrote:

>> aman.oracle.dba wrote:
>>> Is it possible that I can corrupt any rollback segment on my test
>>> machine.
>>> If it is then how.......
>>> And is it possible to do multiplexing of controlfile without shutdown
>>> database.
>>> If it is then how........
>> 1 on Unix you could easily use the dd command to do so.
>> 2 Please answer the question (possibly reading the manual( whether the
>> control_files parameter is a *static* or a *dynamic* parameter.
>> This should answer your question.
>>
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Thank you your answer.
> control_files is static but in one interview, interviewer forcefully
> said that control file can be changed dynamically also but he was
> asking how from me.

There are a few different interview styles:

  1. Totally competent: Interview led by one or more people that really know their stuff (no question this is amazon.com the most intensive quality interview on the planet). Expect questions where you wish you'd memorized every word Tom Kyte and Jonathan Lewis ever wrote or spoke.
  2. Aggressive: This is the interview in which one person is insecure that someone more competent may join the team and either dilute their influence or demonstrate that their skills are substandard. Expect to be asked obscure meaningless questions that are irrelevant to the real work environment.
  3. Fixed: This interview is often conducted by someone that hasn't a clue in the world what they are doing but got a list of questions and answers. Or may be conducted by a government-related agency where they are required by some twisted concept of fairness to ask the same questions of each person interviewed. The secret is to know the answers written on the paper ... even if they are obsolete or incorrect. This interview is something like taking the 9i OCP.
  4. Honest: Jack Cline, Chair of PSOUG once sat in an interview with a very large bank in which the interviewer said: "If I knew what questions to ask you I wouldn't need you." He got the job and they were lucky.

No doubt others can add to this list.

But my point here is that just because some self-annointed expert is asking questions doesn't mean that they have a clue what they are talking about.

About a year ago I sat in on a 10g interview where a member of the internal team started asking questions about logging on as internal: He was still working in 8i.

--
Daniel Morgan
University of Washington