Re: Change Open connection Idle timeout

From: Amogh <amogh.r_at_nospam.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 10:18:00 +0530

Sam wrote:
> Hi There,
> I'm opening a connection form a C++ program to a Oracle database(10g) and
> writing records to database constantly.
> If I keep writing to database everything is OK but if I stop writing for a
> while connection close and I need to
> open a new connection again,
>
> For some testing purpose I like to leave the connection open for a period of
> time (between 10 minutes to a few hours for example)
> is there a way that I control idol time and make Oracle keep my connection
> open even if I don't do anything? What is
> the default value? I saw something about cman.ora on Internet but when I
> search for that file on my Oracle directory I can not find such a file.
> Is there a easy way to control that idle time?
>
> Thank you in advanced - Sam

I guess you are using OCCI to acces the 10g database. Are you using Connection Pooling ? If you are, then check the timeout period [connPool->getTimeout()] which might have been set to close idle connections in the pool.

OCCI does not provide any other explicit way to set timeouts for connections.

Oracle provides users a way to control/restrict memory/resources allocated to a user through PROFILES (check CREATE PROFILE). This allows for more control over SQL execution times. I am not sure if you can restrict connection open times using PROFILES though.

Rgds.
Amogh Received on Thu Sep 07 2006 - 23:48:00 CDT