Re: No more Oracle Standard Edition for VMS

From: <dave.baxter_at_bannerhealth.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2006 09:02:00 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:46:27 GMT, winston_at_SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Alan
> Winston - SSRL Central Computing) wrote:
>
> >Bob, I think your inflammatory accusation of "a lie" is based on a misreading.
> >I belive Sybrand is saying that he won't be surprised if _Oracle_ de
>
> Which was exactly what I was saying.
> Who is using Oracle on OpenVMS? Pretty few.

This may be the perception of many who operate in the education field, however I can assure the poster that the number of companies who are running Oracle on OpenVMS is NOT insignificant.

You need to do some research before making these statements. The advent of the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and HIPAA, require that Healthcare Providers keep their medical records available ALL THE TIME.

    That means NO DOWNTIME for maintenance, NO DOWNTIME for Backups, NO DOWNTIME for Hardware Failure, etc., etc. Do you notice the trend, "NO DOWNTIME". Now Oracle RAC is very nice for failover, and works well, however there is more to "NO DOWNTIME" than RAC failover. The Big Healthcare providers and Financial institutions realize that, an that probably explains why such a large proportion of them run on OpenVMS, (even though the have the option to run on **NIX).

> And the list of Oracle 9i EE options NOT available on OpenVMS is
> pretty long.

If you don't need them, who cares.

> What is more: Oracle recommends replacing OpenVMS by Linux.

> The future of Oracle on OpenVMS is pretty dim.

You need to remove the Shades. Cerner Corp is probably one of the largest and most successful Medical/Clinical Application provider in the US, (if not the world), with thousands of clients world-wide, and a large percentage of their clients (world-wide, not just in the US) are fully committed to Cerner's App on OpenVMS. And these clients constitute a huge financial investment in both the Apps and the Hardware.

I think the the influence of HP and such large corporations as Cerner should not be ignored. For example, with Cerner, the alternate path for clients would not be Oracle on some other platform, it would be DB2 on AIX, or something like. So do you think that Oracle would be happy with the prospect of losing such a large customer base??

And I am only talking about one company, in one arena.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Dave Received on Thu Aug 31 2006 - 11:02:00 CDT