Re: No more Oracle Standard Edition for VMS

From: Doug Phillips <dphill46_at_netscape.net>
Date: 23 Aug 2006 09:53:21 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2006 21:08:06 -0700, nothome_at_spammers.are.scum (Malcolm
> Dunnett) wrote:
>
> >I've been told that the decision to kill Standard Edition
> >for VMS is "not final". I would encourage anyone out there
> >who uses, or has any interest in using, Standard Edition
> >on VMS to contact your Oracle rep and let them know you'd
> >like the product to continue. If you know anyone else
> >who uses this product please let them know too. Surely I
> >can't be the only customer on the planet, can I?
>
> I wouldn't be surprised is OpenVMS is going to be a desupported
> platform soon. If you realize how many options are simply not
> available for OpenVMS, and how kludgy Oracle implemented and
> documented OFA, you realize you would better change O/S, if you want
> to continue Oracle.
> The number of customers on the planet might number less than 10.

Suppliers, are market driven. No market; no product (unless someone is willing to pay the premium).

I wonder what most Sybase customers did? Did they keep VMS and move data over to (something else)? Keep Sybase and leave VMS? How many kept VMS and moved to Oracle? How many times will a customer get burned --- incurring major conversion costs because of OpenVMS --- before moving to a more reliable supplier.

The BIG customers make the most noise and carry the most weight. They have the big budget and are often willing to pay a premium. Funny thing about most customers though (especially BIG customers); they're always one management change away from turning around and leaving their "loyal" suppliers flat. Received on Wed Aug 23 2006 - 11:53:21 CDT