Re: high through put system

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:19:58 -0700

vissuyk_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have a Servlet application that has to process 10K requests per
> second. In every request, we need to perform one lookup and one insert
> operation. The data size per select/insert is about 1K (makes up one
> row).
>
> We are using Oracle 10.2. We are no where near the needed through put.
> How can we scale this application?. Any suggestions are appreciated.
> Any proven patterns will be very much appreciated. We are going to have
> RAC too (soon), but this wont add to the tyhroughtput, I see it is a
> increasing the availability.
>
> ANy thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Vissu

After taking the good advice already posted from others ... here's the next level of suggestion.

  1. Is single row processing such as cursor loops involved that can and should be replaced with array processing?
  2. Have you used EXPLAIN PLAN to optimize the lookup?
  3. Have you used DBMS_PROFILER to determine where the time is being spent in your PL/SQL code?
  4. Have you considered front-ending Oracle with TimesTen?

As rule of thumb, based on a TV program here in the US that does a lot of vote counting I wouldn't see 10K inserts/sec. as an issue as they run 2-3X that volume.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington