Re: Is Database Up?

From: Adrian Simpson <bulleid_at_ffoil.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:12:24 +0100

In message <5fn6f2tsr75184b5c9958te71to365jg3s_at_4ax.com>, Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> writes
>On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:26:18 +0100, Adrian Simpson
><bulleid_at_ffoil.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>Without the OP explaining why he wants to do this, is OEM always a valid
>>solution ? If the requirement is for a script (called perhaps from
>>cron) to check to see if the database is up before trying an operation
>>against it, would this not be a valid reason for not using OEM ?
>>
>Scripts like this often impose a noticeable load on the server.
>I remember a Suncluster 2.x script that actually logins in to the
>database every 60 seconds. If there is no timely response, the
>database fails over. Now combine this with a bunch of developers with
>no clue about Oracle.
>
>OEM is there. It comes with Oracle.
>The load of people out there not reading manuals don't even know what
>it is.
>That is why they want to develop their amateurish solutions.
>
>Could you please explain which noticeably 'overkill' OEM has (except
>that you need to read yeat another manual)?

Where did I say overkill ?

An army of people running scripts all day everyday may have an impact on the server, one script once a day will be barely noticeable.

Adrian

--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops