Re: Datapump and read only database

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:35:06 GMT

Lothar Armbrüster wrote:
> Hello Experts,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to use datapump after an upgrade of our
> databases (Oracle 9.2 on W2k) to 10.2.
> Currently, we have a phyical standby database (using Dataguard) that is
> made read only during daytime for reporting purposes. On this database
> we are also running a dayly full export. This one writes some complaints
> into the log but besides that runs fine.
>
> I'm reading the manual for datapump which states that datapump is much
> faster than imp so I'm considering using datapump after the upgrade.
> But the manual also states that datapump does not work with read only
> databases. Now the question is what can I do?

Datapump must create a table for any export or import operation. The table's name is the same as the datapump job's name. Datapump uses this table to log the current status of the export or import job. This way, you can pause the job and resume it later. Since datapump needs to create this table and perform DML on the table, the database cannot be READ ONLY.
> I could stick with exp/imp or set up a second small instance on the
> standby server which will be read/write and just exist to do the
> datapump remotely on the standby database. I also could do the
> datapump remotely on the primary site but that would run over the
> network and put some load on the primaray database which I want to
> avoid.
>
> What would you recommend?
>
> Regards,
> Lothar

You can still use exp/imp but there may be a future version of Oracle where these are not available.

You can invoke the datapump utilities from a remote server, but the master table is still created on the target server, so that will not solve your problem.

Any reason why you cannot perform your export operation on the primary server and not the standby? What will this dump be used for?

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net