Re: Is Database Up?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:22:52 +0200

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:26:18 +0100, Adrian Simpson <bulleid_at_ffoil.org.uk> wrote:

>Without the OP explaining why he wants to do this, is OEM always a valid
>solution ? If the requirement is for a script (called perhaps from
>cron) to check to see if the database is up before trying an operation
>against it, would this not be a valid reason for not using OEM ?

Scripts like this often impose a noticeable load on the server. I remember a Suncluster 2.x script that actually logins in to the database every 60 seconds. If there is no timely response, the database fails over. Now combine this with a bunch of developers with no clue about Oracle.

OEM is there. It comes with Oracle.
The load of people out there not reading manuals don't even know what it is.
That is why they want to develop their amateurish solutions.

Could you please explain which noticeably 'overkill' OEM has (except that you need to read yeat another manual)?

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA