Re: Oracle DBA Job Opening in Boston

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 25 Aug 2006 15:55:32 -0700

Niall Litchfield wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
> > Unless they happen to start spamming me, because that is the
> > only sponsor they can find. I'm colorblind about hating spammers,
> > anyways. Does it make me racist if the majority of the spammers have
> > Indian-subcontinent style names?
> >
> > jg
>
> I refer you to http://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/countries.lasso as
> just one example. Not racist per se, but likely a poor conclusion.
>
> now there are clearly many forms of spam, and you likely had abuse of
> the charter of the newsgroup in mind rather than spam per se, but given
> the number of offers I get for mortgages in USD and prescription drugs
> in USD far outweighs anything else I do put a significant amount of
> credence in these sorts of stats.

Sorry I wasn't clear, by "spamming me" I was referring to spamming me personally with inappropriate job postings at my various email addresses. On my unspamfiltered address (read that as: Compuserve), I do get a distribution that appears to be similar to your link. At a customer address that I unthinkingly posted to oracle-l, the spam started out 100% Asian unreadable characters, and has normalized towards your links distribution (probably due to infiltration of the intranet by spammers). At a popular geeky address (as opposed to using my name) that I rescued from uselessness after my ISP implemented some decent antispam tools, I get a small number of a somewhat different distribution, as well as billing information of various types for a long-ago owner of a superset of that address (yikes!).

I apologize if I appeared to say this newsgroup is being spammed that way, it isn't and I didn't mean to say that. On the google newsgroup Oracle Server (intended to be like a moderated cdos, but almost no one noticed it - it's still there if anyone wants to use it) a couple of commercial enterprises from India attempted to advertise, and I politely say no, as I would to any commercial enterprise, so far.

> cheers
>
> next time can't we discuss something controversial. like how to
> pronounce PL/SQL or something :(

That is funny, pronouncing the PL and following it with SEE`QWEL.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
I swear this came up with Stumble just now: