Re: high through put system

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:23:27 -0700

Robert Klemme wrote:

> I don't consider myself too much of an Oracle expert but even I know that
> ANALYZE is a bit dated - and it's the most common answer when asked how
> to create statistics...

One of the problems we have in the Oracle world is that we have been around long enough to develop our own species of dinosaur. A DBA, or developer, who learned Oracle 6 or 7 and is still banging code or managing resources the way they used to.

It isn't hard to spot them. They write cursor loops, they write korn shell scripts for backup, they are still trying to get the magic cache hit ratio, etc.

And, unfortunately, the OCP and other certifications have no power to identify them and either force them to retrain or put them out to pasture. So they continue to graze in IT departments all over the world saying NO! to everything new and hoping they can retire before they are forced to learn something new.

We have companies here in the US Pacific Northwest who refuse to hire people with Oracle 7 experience just because the of attitude they get when they try to get them to use the Grid or DBMS_STATS, etc.

Seems to me this is a failure of management, years ago and continuing into the present, to understand the implications of not keeping their teams well trained.

Oh heck its another rant ... sorry about not tagging it in advance. ;-)

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington