Oracle Knowledge [was: Re: high through put system]

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:46:26 +0200

On 24.08.2006 06:23, DA Morgan wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:
>

>> I don't consider myself too much of an Oracle expert but even I know
>> that ANALYZE is a bit dated - and it's the most common answer when
>> asked how to create statistics...

> One of the problems we have in the Oracle world is that we have been
> around long enough to develop our own species of dinosaur. A DBA, or
> developer, who learned Oracle 6 or 7 and is still banging code or
> managing resources the way they used to.

That's certainly one group. The group I have seen is that type which did 3 days Oracle in their education and claims "I know Oracle". When asked such a question (offline!) they go to Google and use the first hit - or they resort to outdated training material.

The basic problem seems to me lacking interest in the matter or in getting a job. "Quality" and "thoroughness" seem outdated today. *sigh*

> Seems to me this is a failure of management, years ago and continuing
> into the present, to understand the implications of not keeping their
> teams well trained.

... and at the same time claiming "employees are our biggest asset".

> Oh heck its another rant ... sorry about not tagging it in advance. ;-)

Sometimes it simply has get out. It has a relieving effect and it feels good if you realize you're not alone. :-)

Kind regards

        robert Received on Thu Aug 24 2006 - 03:46:26 CDT