Re: high through put system

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:22:58 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 23 Aug 2006 04:48:23 -0700, "gazzag" <gareth_at_jamms.org> wrote:
>
> Why is that so? Because most developers *I met*, who are developing
> for Oracle, don't know *ANYTHING* about. They think SQL=SQL and with
> 'SQL' they mean 'sqlserver'. They simply don't know any other database
> implementation.

I don't envy you - and I know exactly what you are talking about: we are looking for someone with common sense and at least some basic DB skills and 95% of candidates we had failed either on explaining the difference between Oracle's and SQL Server's TX isolation models or on explaining DB statistics. The rest doesn't know Java's ConcurrentModificationException or thinks an abstract class must have abstract methods and / or cannot have concrete methods. I don't consider myself too much of an Oracle expert but even I know that ANALYZE is a bit dated - and it's the most common answer when asked how to create statistics...

> Mind you: I don't say developers using bind variables don't exist.
> Somewhere out in the wild they must be running, maybe somewhere in
> Australia, but in the Netherlands I only see (irrespective of firm)
> blatant lack of knowledge of Oracle.

/me raises hand cautiously (although not in Australia - the wilderness is nearer that you think). :-)

> So, I bet Tom Kyte can continue his crusade for the next 20 years or
> so.

:-)

Kind regards

        robert Received on Wed Aug 23 2006 - 16:22:58 CDT