No more Oracle Standard Edition for VMS

From: Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum>
Date: 22 Aug 2006 21:08:06 -0700

I posted a month or so ago asking if anyone knew about the status of Oracle Standard Edition for VMS. Metalink says that Oracle 10gR2 Standard edition is "not planned" for VMS on any platform (VAX, Alpha or Itanium). Of course it also says that 9.2 Standard Edition was not released for those platforms (which is patently false).

I've now had it confirmed by my Oracle rep that Oracle does not plan to release any further versions of Oracle Standard Edition for VMS. The argument is presumably that it's too much work to test it and there's not enough interest. I can't speak for any other sites but I know it's a "mission critical" product for us.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but my experience is that unless you're running huge databases where things like partitioning become critical there's not much need to use Enterprise Edition and that not having Standard edition available for VMS eliminates the feasibility of being able to use this rock-solid OS as an Oracle server platform unless you have very deep pockets.

I've been told that the decision to kill Standard Edition for VMS is "not final". I would encourage anyone out there who uses, or has any interest in using, Standard Edition on VMS to contact your Oracle rep and let them know you'd like the product to continue. If you know anyone else who uses this product please let them know too. Surely I can't be the only customer on the planet, can I? Received on Tue Aug 22 2006 - 23:08:06 CDT