Re: No more Oracle Standard Edition for VMS

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:09:16 -0700

Malcolm Dunnett wrote:

> I've now had it confirmed by my Oracle rep that Oracle does
> not plan to release any further versions of Oracle Standard
> Edition for VMS. The argument is presumably that it's too
> much work to test it and there's not enough interest. I
> can't speak for any other sites but I know it's a "mission
> critical" product for us.

I would argue that Standard Edition is not mission critical for you as you can always substitute Enterprise Edition. What may matter is the cost of the license. And here is where you need to invite back that lovely sales rep and ask them how hard they can work, between now and license renewal time, to get that EE license to match the cost of the SE license.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington