Re: Ora10g installed...now what ? :-)

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 16 Aug 2006 11:26:56 -0700

Fabio Cannavaro wrote:
> I installed Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition.
>
> I have to master this software :) Wow.
>
> I'm reading "Oracle Database 10g: a beginner's guide" and from what I
> can see the Oracle Enterprise Manager is different from what I have
> installed.
>
> I'm a totally newbie in Oracle but I come from Sql server 2000 (I know
> it quite well) and I know fundamental of databases...I think :-)
>
> During installation of Ora 10g, I inserted database name and
> credentials...and after installation, when I try to use OEM, I
> successfully log on this database.
>
> But what about create new one?
>
> In book I'm reading there is a tree structure in which I can see:
>
> "databases"
>
> --- "Ora10g"
>
> --- "Instance"
> --- "Schema"
> --- "Security"
> --- "Storage"
>
> --- ... (and so on)
>
> In my OEM, I log on my previously created database and I can see a
> different structure software:
>
> My OEM: http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myec9.jpg
>
> Book OEM: http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bookoemnp3.jpg
>

> Now, I'm trying to understand that Oracle is different and has much more
> and different features as well as different design...but I'm little
> confused about concept :
>
> - database
> - Database (capitalized)
> - tablespaces
>

> ...and the difference from book picture and my OEM does not help.
>

> Here some questions (please don't flame me: i'm reading that fucking
> manual :( )
>
> Can you explain me please in simple terms the difference from "database"
> term in sql server 2000 and Oracle?
>
> - Does an instance of Oracle contain one or more databases ?
> - What is exactly a "schema" ?
> - Is a tablespace like a database ? What is the difference from
> tablespace of Ora and database of Sql server?
>

> Help appreciated and best regards to all.

Welcome to the world of oracle. I think many of us have seen the same questions that you posted today "time after time after time". Not your fault but there are lots of ways to google around and get answers to your questions without making someone else answer them for you.

Try looking at http://asktom.oracle.com and do some simple searching for a start.

I would recommend that you consider starting by getting and reading ( several times from cover to cover ) Tom Kyte's new book "Expert Oracle Database Architecture".

I think you will find the answers to the questions that you posed in there.

There's a lot of us around who answer questions from time to time in this newsgroup. Many of us have been working in the database field for a long time.

The biggest mistake you can make with oracle is to try to treat it the way one ( is forced to ) interact with SQL Server.

Not to be critical and there are some good SQL Server developers out there, but it's time to start from square one. Received on Wed Aug 16 2006 - 13:26:56 CDT