Ora10g installed...now what ? :-)

From: Fabio Cannavaro <fatti_at_icazzi.tuoi>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:15:30 +0200

I installed Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition.

I have to master this software :) Wow.

I'm reading "Oracle Database 10g: a beginner's guide" and from what I can see the Oracle Enterprise Manager is different from what I have installed.

I'm a totally newbie in Oracle but I come from Sql server 2000 (I know it quite well) and I know fundamental of databases...I think :-)

During installation of Ora 10g, I inserted database name and credentials...and after installation, when I try to use OEM, I successfully log on this database.

But what about create new one?

In book I'm reading there is a tree structure in which I can see:

"databases"

In my OEM, I log on my previously created database and I can see a different structure software:

My OEM: http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=myec9.jpg

Book OEM: http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bookoemnp3.jpg

Now, I'm trying to understand that Oracle is different and has much more and different features as well as different design...but I'm little confused about concept :

...and the difference from book picture and my OEM does not help.

Here some questions (please don't flame me: i'm reading that fucking manual :( )

Can you explain me please in simple terms the difference from "database" term in sql server 2000 and Oracle?

Help appreciated and best regards to all.

F. Received on Wed Aug 16 2006 - 13:15:30 CDT