Re: Quick sqlplus cr/lf question

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:46:52 -0400

"BD" <robert.drea_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1154709038.680623.112010_at_h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
:
: > If so, try this:
: >
: > select '*********************' || chr(10) ||,
: > 'TRAINING SLICE COUNTS'|| chr(10) ||
: > '*********************' || chr(10)
: > from dual;
:
: Thanks for that.
:
: The chr(10) is returning a "ORA-00936: missing expression" error - I'll
: research that. Might be some 'set' command in the session which enables
: the use of 'chr' values or something, I dunno. I see other scripts in
: my environment's 'toolkit' (which were made well before my time) that
: use it, so it must be something I'm doing.
:
: So can someone explain to me why the 'pagesize 0' has the side effect
: of removing my column header definitions?
:
: I'm much more likely to understand and remember things if they 'make
: sense'. And at this point, this ain't. ;-)
:

chr(10) is not returning "ORA-00936: missing expression" -- the expression(s) you're using is malformed, such as missing a closing quote, comma, etc.

if you post you SQL you could get some quick help

regarding pagesize 0, from the SQL*Plus manual:

SET PAGESIZE
Sets the number of rows on each page of output in iSQL*Plus, and the number of lines on each page of output in command-line and Windows GUI. Increase PAGESIZE to avoid printing headings frequently, or set it to 0 to prevent headings being displayed.

So, if you're referring to the column headings not being displayed, it's not a side-affect, it's the intended affect of the command. Or are you saying that the the column header definitions are no longer defined in the SQL*Plus session (ie. when you TYPE COLUMN you don't see your column heading definitions)

++ mcs

++ mcs Received on Fri Aug 04 2006 - 11:46:52 CDT