Re: Move Oracle 10g database to another location

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2006 15:22:40 -0700

Selt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am quite new using Oracle and I am making some testing on a test PC.
> I installed Oracle 10g and create database, tested it and all works.
> Now I would transfer the database to another PC that is nomore testing,
> but working installation.
>
> I should be glad if you could suggest best way to do this.
>
> Kind regards.

Look at the backup documentation at tahiti.oracle.com. One way is to use RMAN commands to copy the db after installing Oracle on the new PC.  Another way is to use the datapump utility, depends on what exactly you want to transfer. If what you've done so far is simple enough, just do it again on the new pc.

Personally I'm a big fan of making script files to be able to do things again exactly the same, but then again I'm usually on unix. You may have made some scripts if you used the db creation facility.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060721/news_1b21options.html