Re: AIX vs Solaris

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 21 Jul 2006 06:41:43 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> comments embedded
> >

> >> better management tools
> >
> >For example ... what exactly?
>
> Smit: System Management InTerface. And there is smitty for non-X
> access. As far as I know the equivalent Solaris tool is limited

You said tools. Now you named one. Which equivalent tool are you trying to compare?

Try setting up and running solaris 10 and you will probably get a better idea of the management tools available. Wish I could try the same thing with AIX but I don't think it is very portable across many hardware platforms.

> >> Less parameters to tune
>
> No need to tune semaphore parameters and the like.

Sounds like you don't have relevant experience with current release of solaris. This has changed.

> >> More diagnostic tools.
> >
> >More is better? Let's see some specific examples.
>
> errpt, diag

Solaris has dtrace and many others. What exact functionality do you claim that AIX has that solaris doesn't in the diagnostic tools?

> >> The hardware breaks less often.
> >
> >All hardware breaks eventually.
> >
> We had a Sun motherboard break within 3 months after delivery.

Ok so your broad generalization that "the hardware breaks less often" is backed up by your specific experiences with ONE system?

> >> I don't know anything about IBM support, but I do know Sun support in
> >> the Netherlands sucks. One of our customers is having issues with Sun
> >> on their support contract for years.
> >
> >OK so you just posted some stuff about AIX but now you don't know
> >anything about IBM support?
>
> I never needed IBM support, as the system never broke down.

Did you say "the system"? ONE system? That's a little weak.

I have worked in the past at IBM installations where we staffed an IBM hardware support person 40 hours a week.

All the vendors both hardware and software seem to be sliding on the quality of support services. Received on Fri Jul 21 2006 - 08:41:43 CDT