Re: The cheapest hardware for real RAC

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 7 Jul 2006 07:33:44 -0700

Ranko.Mosic_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for recommendations on which storage hardware to purchase.
>
> I want to connect 2 white box PC's ( which I have ) and storage
> hardware ( which I don't have yet) into RAC ready config.
> ( I tried Firewire thing, didn't work; VMware works, but is only
> simulation).
>
> Regards, Ranko

You can find several good articles on www.idevelopment.info by Jeffrey Hunter.

The firewire thing can be challenging and frustrating at times but it is doable. Jeff has an article with centos 4.3 ( latest Redhat clone ) and 10.2 on linux 32 bit with firewire. You have to follow the steps "exactly" and have hardware that matches what has been tested.

Jeff also has a vmware implementation article that uses a complete 2 node RAC setup that doesn't require a firewire disk.

If you don't want to go that route then you need to get some kind of external SCSI setup or a cheap NAS/SAN type of much for the least expensive testing route.

Of course EMC storage works very well! Received on Fri Jul 07 2006 - 09:33:44 CDT