Re: following r the free web services 4 u

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: 7 Jul 2006 07:18:55 -0700

Steve Howard wrote:
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Have some spam yourself meetritumail7_at_yahoo.co.in
>
> Is it just me, or is anyone else getting progressively more
> annoyed...not at SPAM...but at this gibberish of a letter for a
> complete word. Look at the subject of this SPAM.
>
> I honestly think I could have stood ebonics more easily than I could
> this crap. What's really crazy is finding computer people who use it;
> individuals who are held to the letter of syntax law for a living, and
> then can't manage to add an "a" and an "e" to an "r" to form the word
> "are"...they are four keys apart on the keyboard!!!
>
> I think I will start writing PLSQL, when I have to, like this...
>
> dklar
> l numbr;
> bgin
> 4 i in 1..100 lup
> dbms_output.put_line('r u gettin it?');
> end lup;
> end;
> /
>
> Maybe we should sue Oracle for not respecting our own "language", and
> allowing us to type PLSQL as we wish...
>
> Back to my coffee...
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

Steve,

This has become a major bugbear of mine where I work. A lot of the so-called IT people I work with, managers in particular, don't seem to have an IT bone in their body. It's as if their attitude is "Hey, I've got a PC running Windows at home, how hard can it be to be an IT professional?"

I find people around me frequently interchanging the words "dev", "test" and "train", say. A developer will e-mail me asking me to put something onto "train", for example. When I check that they didn't in fact mean "test", they look at me like I'm nit-picking, shrug and say "Yeah, whatever!"

I think that one of my more recent favourites was from a project-manager who has been promoted far beyond her rank. While I was setting up a database as the backend to the application she was tasked with implementing, I asked when it was to go live.

She replied "It *is* live."

I said "Huh?"

She said "Well, it's live but it just hasn't been rolled out to any users yet."

I said "Well, that's not live. Pilot, maybe, but not live."

She just rolled her eyes and looked at her colleague in a "he's always splitting hairs that one" kind of way.

It infuriates me. It's a computer. It deals in zero or one. Simple. They are not interchangeable.....! And they wonder why everything f%$&*g breaks...

</rant>

I'll have some of that coffee if there's any going spare :) Received on Fri Jul 07 2006 - 09:18:55 CDT