Re: Error for archivelog ?!

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:43:39 -0700

BD wrote:

>> It is people like you who are rude
>> and abrupt, and typical geeks have have no life...so go back, add

> Damn straight.
>
> I've indicated on more than one occasion how unhelpful it is for him to
> be a smart-ass just for the sake of being a smart-ass.

Rather than addressing the perceived shortcomings of others why didn't you offer help to the OP?

> I've seen him slag people for asking questions that are too basic for
> his taste, when other people were quite willing to step up and offer
> productive suggestions without criticism.

Lets take this out of the realm of databases and assume it was a usenet group on airplanes. How would you react to someone that posted the following:

"I have been hired by a company to fly 747's and I'm wondering how to check the plane's altitude? Can someone help me?"

My point being that certain minimal skills are required to do the job. One of them is to use google or OTN or books to look up the basics. It is perfectly understandable to some people, most it would seem, choose to ignore questions from the lazy while others, such as Sybrand, may choose a different course. Each is within their right.

> But I think that on some level, Sybrand believes that he has some
> moderator-like authority on this group.

I think he's expressing an opinion. If you don't want to read that opinion then don't click on the link.

> He may be an Oracle demi-god, but he has also made it painfully clear
> that he is an ass.
>
> Or maybe just an occasional troll. ;)

And other may think the same about me and about you. If you have help to offer OPs then do so. If you are just here to complain about the behaviour of others please take it off-line.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington