Re: Dev vs Prod: What is wrong here

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2006 16:17:11 -0700

meathammer wrote:
> I say this is just "wrong" but I can't exactly put up an argument how/why.
>
> Would you pls point out what is so wrong with this setup:
>
> Assuming the DB is identical...
> -----------------------------
> Prod env:
>
> 9iR2
> 2-node RAC
> HPUX
> Big tables partitioned
> --------------------------
> Test/Dev env:
>
> 9iR2
> Single-instance
> Windows
> no tables partitioned.

Just a couple of minor points to add to the others:

Windows sometimes has its own issues. And of course, you can't test shell environment-dependent thingees easily.

You can't be sure there aren't platform-dependent issues when patching.

If you have a lot of developers or some off-site, you may need a QA/integration environment.

You may be able to give some developers their own environment, ie, XE.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Backing up online redo log files is not advised in all cases, except