Re: Dev vs Prod: What is wrong here

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 25 Jun 2006 22:44:38 -0700

meathammer wrote:
> I say this is just "wrong" but I can't exactly put up an argument how/why.
>
> Would you pls point out what is so wrong with this setup:
>
> Assuming the DB is identical...
> -----------------------------
> Prod env:
>
> 9iR2
> 2-node RAC
> HPUX
> Big tables partitioned
> Test/Dev env:
>
> 9iR2
> Single-instance
> Windows
> no tables partitioned.

Missing RAC is no problem at all, because RAC related stuff should be tested on a different kind of environment than on a development. The problem could be however missing partitioning. Because of this, your developers would not be able to create a code managing your partition operations in this environment. Moreover, you will have to purge old records manually and there could be also dependencies on other stuff. For example, partition maintance can be linked to other night jobs such as statistics generation, journal entries reconciliation etc. In your case this must be developed and tested in the deployment (sometimes called QAS - Quality Assurance System), which is not good, because to this system changes should be deployed not programmed.

--
Dusan Bolek