Re: When did VARCHAR2 columns store trailing spaces?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 22:31:02 +0800

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

> I have run a short test in 10.2.0.1 (yes, I know, it's not patched, but
> currently I have no Metalink access) and I've found that trailing
> spaces on data inserted into VARCHAR2 columns remain in the data:
>
> SQL> create table numtest(my_num number, my_val varchar2(9));
>
> Table created.
>
> SQL> insert into numtest values(0011, '0011 ');
>
> 1 row created.
>
> SQL> select my_num, ''''||my_val||''''
> 2 from numtest;
>
> MY_NUM ''''||MY_VA
> ---------- -----------
> 11 '0011 '
>
> SQL>
>
> Yes, the formatting isn't the best, but note the trailing spaces I
> submitted to Oracle remain in the stored value. I remember when this
> didn't occur; I'm wondering when this 'broke' and if there is a fix.
>
> Hopefully this is corrected in an available patch.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? Oracle version 10.2.0.1, Windows XP Pro.
>
> David Fitzjarrell

you might be thinking some of Oracle's software products (Forms etc) not its database.

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat."