When did VARCHAR2 columns store trailing spaces?

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 8 Jun 2006 20:34:47 -0700

I have run a short test in 10.2.0.1 (yes, I know, it's not patched, but currently I have no Metalink access) and I've found that trailing spaces on data inserted into VARCHAR2 columns remain in the data:

SQL> create table numtest(my_num number, my_val varchar2(9));

Table created.

SQL> insert into numtest values(0011, '0011 ');

1 row created.

SQL> select my_num, ''''||my_val||''''
  2 from numtest;

    MY_NUM ''''||MY_VA

        11 '0011 '

SQL> Yes, the formatting isn't the best, but note the trailing spaces I submitted to Oracle remain in the stored value. I remember when this didn't occur; I'm wondering when this 'broke' and if there is a fix.

Hopefully this is corrected in an available patch.

Has anyone else seen this? Oracle version 10.2.0.1, Windows XP Pro.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Jun 08 2006 - 22:34:47 CDT