Re: Limit of 1050 columns for ANSI joins

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 12:28:29 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 05:06:33 -0700, Andreas Sheriff wrote:

> Yeah, yeah, so I have 1095 columns (For online surveys, those data points
> really add up, and this is a small survey...), that doesn't mean I should be
> limited, should I?
> Can anyone find a reference in the Oracle documentation that states 1050 as
> a column limit for ANSI joins? I see a 1000 column limit for tables, but it
> doesn't say anything about views or ANSI joins.

Then don't use ANSI joins. Oracle has the corresponding syntax, which is more logical and causes less problems with performance and optimization then ANSI joins. Personally, I find ANSI joins clumsy and plain stupid. ANSI joins provide the illusion that your SQL is, somehow, portable. Oracle probably supported ANSI joins just because everybody else did, but those monstrosities break the spirit of SQL. Tedd Codd probably died when he saw ANSI join syntax being called SQL. SQL is a language that was modeled after naive set theory, which means that it provides criteria for selecting various elements from the given set. Unfortunately, developers are somehow entranced by this idiotic construct and still prefer it over the nice logical Oracle syntax.

--
http://www.mgogala.com