Re: Limit of 1050 columns for ANSI joins

From: steph <stephan0h_at_yahoo.de>
Date: 8 Jun 2006 08:08:08 -0700

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> Then don't use ANSI joins. Oracle has the corresponding syntax, which is
> more logical and causes less problems with performance and optimization
> then ANSI joins. Personally, I find ANSI joins clumsy and plain stupid.
> ANSI joins provide the illusion that your SQL is, somehow, portable.
> Oracle probably supported ANSI joins just because everybody else did, but
> those monstrosities break the spirit of SQL. Tedd Codd probably died when
> he saw ANSI join syntax being called SQL. SQL is a language that was
> modeled after naive set theory, which means that it provides criteria for
> selecting various elements from the given set. Unfortunately, developers
> are somehow entranced by this idiotic construct and still prefer it over
> the nice logical Oracle syntax.

hey thanks! this discussion of ansi- versus oracle join syntax helped me today rather unexpectedly: having switched to 10GR2 some of my views didn't work anymore, i.e. they 'hanged' the session. eventually i found out that only statements containing UNION or UNION ALL where affected. as a last resort i rewrote one of them to oracle-join-syntax (i use ansi-syntax consistently for historical reasons) - and see, it works! maybe i should file a service-request on this topic, but first i got to rewrite all of my views .... Received on Thu Jun 08 2006 - 10:08:08 CDT