Re: RMAN performance when using UNC paths

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:55:52 +0200

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:54:09 +0200, Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanREMOVETHAT_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>If the problem can not be corrected, can you give me ideas for other
>solutions? The goal is to take backups on the disks of a remote
>server. The server hosting the database does not have the disk
>capacity to temporarily hold the backup pieces (which we could have
>transfered through the UNC path and its good performance with OS
>commands).

Idea 1: It is not going to work, EVER, as Oracle doesn't support UNC Idea 2: If you manage to back the database up, you probably will have a hard time restoring it (This happened to me recently, using nfs, at a customer equally 'smart' as your customer)

Idea 3: Disk is cheap
Idea 4: Disk is cheap
Idea 5: Disk is cheap
Idea 6: Did I say disk is cheap? Your attempts to get it working are
probably going to cost more than buying a disk.
--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA